Effective: March 3 2020
Collection and Use of Personal Information:
Personal information is information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify you. Personal information also includes anonymous information that is linked to information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify you. Personal information does not include information that has been irreversibly anonymized or aggregated so that it can no longer enable us, whether in combination with other information or otherwise, to identify you.
Here is a description of the types of personal information we may collect and how we may use it:
What Personal Information We Collect
Depending on how you interact with us online, we collect different kinds of personal information from or about you.
- Information you provide to us: We collect the information you provide when you choose to contact us, when users visit the CHYP website, register on the website, place an order/purchase/donation, subscribe to emails, respond to a survey, fill out a form, and in connection with other activities, services, resources, or features that are available through the CHYP website. By creating an account and registering on the CHYP website, CHYP may collect personal information (including, but not limited to, first name, phone number, email address, username, password, security questions, age, ethnicity, state/province of residence, credit card information, billing information , if you have chronic pain or if you are a caregiver of someone with chronic pain, chronic pain condition, length of time you have had chronic pain). Users can always refuse to provide CHYP with information, although for safety purposes, it may prevent them from engaging in certain CHYP website activities. All personal information is provided voluntarily to the CHYP website and CHYP team.
- Information about your use of our website: When you visit our website, we may collect information the type of device you use, your device’s unique identifier, the IP address of your device, statistics on page views, referral URLs, your web log information, traffic to and from the CHYP website, your browsing activity, the type of Internet browser you use, and technical information about your means of connection to the CHYP website (such as the operating system, the Internet service providers, and other similar information).
How We Use Your Personal Information:
Generally speaking, we use personal information to communicate with you, to inform you of programs and services that may be of interest, to provide, improve, and develop our services, and to protect us and our users. CHYP collects and processes your personal information for the following purposes:
- Communicating with you: We may use your personal information to communicate with you, to confirm your identity and ensure that the CHYP website is being used for its designed purpose, administer surveys and other website features, process and keep track of payments and donations, requests, or applications, and to inform you about our policies and terms. Subject to your prior express consent, we may use your personal information to send you emails periodically with CHYP news or fundraising efforts. You may withdraw your consent to receive communications electronically at any time by contacting CHYP in the manner described below to opt out
- Developing, providing, and improving our services: We use your information to help us provide, improve, and develop our services, which is necessary for us to pursue our legitimate interest, including to personalize your experience on the CHYP website, to improve the CHYP website based on the information and feedback, to improve the support services, to identify and fix bugs that may be present, and to develop new tools, products, or services. This may include using aggregate, non-personally identifiable information for purposes such as data analysis, research, and education. The information we receive allows us to tailor our service offerings, improve your online experience, educate and inform you, and customize the content and layout of our pages.
- Offering and measuring targeted advertisements and services: Subject to your prior express consent, we may use personal information to personalize your experience with our products and services, on third-party websites and applications, and to determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns.
- Promoting safety and security: We use your information to pursue our legitimate interest in helping verify accounts and user activity, as well as in promoting safety and security, such as by monitoring fraud, investigating suspicious or potentially illegal activity or violations of our terms or policies, protecting our rights, or pursuing available remedies.
Disclosure of Personal Information:
CHYP does not sell, trade, or rent users’ personal information to others. CHYP does have the right to share generic aggregated demographic information that is not personally identifiable. CHYP may disclose personal information we collect online to the following categories of parties:
- Broader CHYP Team, Partner Organizations, and Service Providers: The CHYP team may discuss your information with other members of the CHYP team, partner organizations, “Guest Hosts,” or services providers who work on our behalf (without independent use of the information provided). Since the CHYP website does not provide individual medical or therapeutic services, confidentiality is not necessarily maintained. That being said, CHYP will reasonably attempt to protect your privacy from advertisers or other external agencies.
- Legal Compliance and Security: CHYP can share and disclose your information when required to do so by federal, state, or local laws, as well as court or administrative orders or in response to a subpoena. We may also disclose personal information if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate. We may also disclose personal information if we determine in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect our rights and pursue available remedies, enforce our terms and conditions, investigate fraud, or protect our operations or users.
- To Advert a Serious Threat to Health or Safety: Even though CHYP does not accept any liability or responsibility for misuse of the CHYP website (i.e. ideation, plan, or intent of harm to self or to others; suspected child abuse or neglect), the CHYP team may, in good faith, share and disclose your information to the necessary agencies/officials.
Children: We do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose information from children under 13. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of a child under 13, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible. Please immediately contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information.
The minimum age to use the CHYP website is age 13. CHYP is committed to helping users with chronic pain between the ages of 13-18 and caregivers (age 18 and up) of youth with chronic pain. Although CHYP does require personal identification information from some users, it is not the responsibility of CHYP to determine the accuracy or legitimacy of the personal information provided.
All CHYP users are using the CHYP website and services at their own risk. For this reason, all users between the ages of 13-17 must have caregiver consent to participate through the CHYP registration process (which CHYP will also not be responsible for regulating the legitimacy of).
If you are a California resident under the age of 18, and you are a registered user of our products or services, California law permits you to request and obtain removal of content or information you have publicly posted. To make such a request, please contact us at email@example.com with specific information about where the content or information is posted and attesting that you posted it. We will then make reasonable, good faith efforts to remove the post from prospective public view, or anonymize it so you cannot be individually identified, to the extent required by applicable law. Please be aware that such a request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you have posted and that there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow removal even if requested.
CHYP Website Activity Collected:
Depending on where you live, you may have the rights described below.
You have the right to access, correct, or delete the personal information that we collect. You are also entitled to object to or restrict, at any time, the further processing of your personal information. You have the right to receive your personal information in a structured and standard format. You may lodge a complaint with the competent data protection authority regarding the processing of your personal information.
To protect the privacy and the security of your personal information, we may request information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access such information, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information we maintain. There are instances where applicable laws or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide or delete some or all of the personal information that we maintain.
If you are a California resident, California law permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. CHYP does not share personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes.
You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to exercise your rights. We will respond to your request in a reasonable timeframe, and in any event in less than 30 days.
- Stop receiving marketing or promotional emails from CHYP
- Update and change your personal identification information
- Cancel your account or request that CHYP no longer uses your personal identification information to provide you with services
Phone Number: With your consent, your phone number may be used during the registration process to send a verification text message. This verification text message will be used to confirm your identity and unlock your access to the CHYP website and services.
Email: Your email address will be used as a main method for the CHYP team to contact you. This may include, but is not limited to, confirming registration, payment/donation processing and confirmation, and CHYP company news/updates/fundraising efforts/related product/event/service information. If you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails from CHYP, there is a detailed explanation for how to unsubscribe at the bottom of the email.
Information Security, Integrity, and Retention: Since there will be health chats and/or links to health chats on the CHYP website, CHYP uses technologies that allow data to be stored and transmitted according to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance. CHYP adopts reasonable data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal identifying information, username, password, and other data stored on the CHYP website.
Even though the CHYP website is designed with user security in mind, CHYP cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk.
- If you choose to make a payment or donation on the CHYP website, you will be automatically linked to a third-party link (PayPal) to continue with the payment or donation.
- If you are participating in a CHYP service that involves a third-party link (such as Zoom), your downloading, installation, and use of the third-party link is at your discretion.